The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Five to 10 years of magazine publication experience.
- Experience leading and directing a team of freelancers.
- Strong reporting, writing and editing experience and the ability to guide the photography and design process.
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer, typing and spelling skills, including proficiency with the MS Office suite of applications and various social media platforms. Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress and/or Movable Type is highly preferred.
- Creative thinking skills and the willingness to play a hands-on role executing details.
- Solid leadership and project management skill and experience.
- Strategic planning skills combined with tactical attention to detail.
- The ability to work well within a fast-paced, deadline-oriented, team environment.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Polished interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all levels of management and across departments.
- Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a changing/evolving environment.
- The ability to project professionalism and warmth in all situations.
- Drive, high-energy, self-motivation and dedication.
The RoleAs Magazine Editor, you will be responsible for planning and managing the monthly production of Coastal Alabama magazine. You will oversee all creative and content development including design, research, interviews, photography, writing and editing. Supervising a team of freelance writers, photographers and designers, you’ll determine the story mix for each issue, identify and assign content and edit and proofread submissions. You will also serve as the point person for the final production processes -- which will include communicating with the printer, ensuring files are uploaded and accurate and determining distribution locations and channels as necessary.
Although your primary focus will be on providing hands-on editorial leadership for Coastal Alabama magazine, you may also be involved in the production and coordination of our wedding publication, special advertorial sections and other niche publications.
More specifically, you will:
- Manage the overall content, style and image of publication(s).
- Oversee publication(s) from conception to printing, including editorial and creative assignments and direction.
- Assist with writing articles and other content as needed.
- Work with Advertising and Sales management and other departments to ensure the best product for our readers and advertisers.
- Proofread completed publications prior to print deadlines.
- Confer with department heads and editorial staff to formulate policy, coordinate department activities, establish production schedules, solve publication issues, and discuss makeup plans and organizational changes for new and existing products.
- Adhere to all department guidelines and deadlines specifically as they apply to production schedules, proofing, and content.
- Coordinate post-deadline issues with Ad Services, Advertising or Production as necessary.
- Post content to AL.com.
- Assist with building and adhering to the monthly/yearly expense budget.
- Take responsibility for other duties as assigned.
Keys to SuccessTo be successful in the role of Magazine Editor, clearly you’ll need the editorial chops -- a deep understanding of magazines, creativity and a keen eye for design, and the ability to build and shape this new brand -- but you’ll also need to be flexible and comfortable working through change. Coastal Alabama magazine was just launched this summer, and it’s important to note that there will be a level of ambiguity as you take the helm in this new role and shape both the publication and the job into what it needs to be. We’ll look to you to take ownership of your team of contributors and serve as the voice of lifestyle publishing.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of the greater Mobile community and Baldwin County. We’re looking for someone with insight into the community and knowledge of local advertisers and readers. This isn’t a role where you’ll be chained to a desk; instead, you will attend events, speak at engagements and work to spread the word about this new publication.
Additionally, in order to excel in this role, you will be self-motivated, proactive and comfortable working autonomously. You’ll be based out of our Mobile location and your manager is located in Birmingham, so although you’ll have open access to her resources and support, it is essential that you have the ability to succeed independently in this new environment.