The RequirementsAlabama Media Group is seeking well-rounded reporters with a history of success in digital media and expertise in various areas from local community, politics or sports news to statewide events and more. We have multiple positions and levels from part-time reporters covering specific topics, such as sports, to full-time professionals covering the depth and breadth of local news, to industry veterans who might focus on local or pursue multi-pronged investigative reports. Whether you’re an industry veteran enthused by the digital platform and excited about transforming your career for the future; or someone who is new in your career but enjoying attention from writing an engaging blog, this role could be the perfect fit.
To be a good fit for the Reporter opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field (preferred), or the equivalent experience.
- A minimum of two years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing. You should be able to use a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience. Quick question for you - click here
- A strong track record of writing success.
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience.
- The ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills.
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Experience with search engine optimization (SEO) practices. Quick question for you - click here
- Comfort working in breaking news situations including understanding the standards and philosophy of real-time news.
- The demonstrated ability to capitalize on high-value topics by engaging audiences with frequency and urgency.
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms such as Moveable Type CMS, SCC Budgeting and Archiving System, Smartphones.
- Understanding the imperatives of multiple platforms – print, mobile, Internet, etc.
- A mastery of social media and digital interaction; experience using social media to source and promote content is highly preferred.
- The ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from its competitors.
- The drive and ability to work independently and remotely.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed, to provide 24/7/365 media coverage.
- The ability to travel on occasion and to come into the office for a meeting or training approximately once per month.
- Posting photographs and/or short videos to the web and other internal production systems.
- Remote web reporting using laptops and smart phones.
The RoleAs a Reporter for Alabama Media Group, you will report and produce news stories for various platforms (dependent upon your beat and focus), and act as a statewide expert and discussion leader on high-value topics. You’ll be accountable for meeting audience demand for immediacy, depth and engagement. It will be essential that you take ownership of your territory or area of expertise, identify events to be covered and execute. The reality of news in the digital age is that it is instant. In order to hit your goals and responsibilities, you’ll approach all of your work with that in mind.
Specifically, you will:
- Gather information and write journalistically sound news elements for use in all existing and future media platforms. Your stories should be balanced and factual; timely and topical; and, well-sourced and contextually correct.
- Learn and employ all techniques for effective digital “beat-blogging” and reporting across all platforms.
- Frequently and incrementally post throughout the day.
- Engage in story aggregation and topical link-posting.
- Monitor and engage in reader comment streams; elevate comments into new posts when appropriate.
- Interact on social media platforms via story shares, objective commentary, topic promotion and the Alabama Media Group’s content initiatives.
- Effectively employ various means of monitoring audience interest and competitors’ posting on your topic, including setting up Google alerts, Twitter and RSS feeds.
- Maintain operational communication with the editor and production center, when appropriate.
- Learn and understand audience traffic tracking systems and analytical reports.
Because this is an instant world, you must be quick on your feet and strong with grammar and self-editing. You’ll also need to be highly ethical because you don’t want to put anything out there that isn’t true. You will have a producer to talk to and collaborate with as necessary, but you will be field-based, without a desk or office, so being independent is key.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will be a driven, dynamic reporter and writer with the ability to deliver a high volume of content every day. You should be able to proactively identify stories in your assigned area and respond quickly, keeping the quality of content consistent and engaging. Nothing of interest to the readership should be missed. Because we are an online, daily operation, you will also need to be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. You should be someone who excels and thrives under pressure and can produce quality work regardless of the deadline you're under.
Additionally, in order to be an outstanding Reporter, you will be autonomous and enjoy working independently. You will have a great deal of autonomy in this role, from choosing your content topics to posting your own articles online -- so you should be at ease in a self-directed environment and eager to hit the ground running and make an impact right off the bat.